Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The best things in life are free

I can confirm that statement. The best things in life are indeed FREE. Sometimes I think people lose focus and forget the truth behind that phrase.


Let me just start this off with a story...

I brought my dress to little alteration shop today so I could start the process. I went by myself and was greeted by a very friendly lady. She asked if I had come by myself and of course I said yes. She asked why I hadn't brought my Mother or Maid of Honor.

<>

My response was that my Mom couldn't make it and my Maid of Honor was working. Thankfully she didn't press on and left it at that. The lady did not mean any harm but of course it stung. Another wonderful reminder of what we're missing out on; mother and daughter.

It's been a rough couple of days for me emotionally. I think I'm coming over the "hump" because today I had a moment. Thankfully Matt was there to hold me, comfort me and listen. That's all I needed. That's all he can do and that's all that I need :) I am reminded by his patience, love and caring nature that I have found a wonderful husband!

Today I've received several messages from family members asking why my Dad wasn't at my shower. Sigh, another sting :) That's ok...I'm learning how to react. My response is basically that I am not sure. That is the truth as simple as it is. Does it bother me? Yes, very much so. What can I do about it...nada. My Dad has now said that he may not be coming to the actual rehearsal or the rehearsal dinner. He's got his reasons and that's fine. I reminded him that I would like him there but was told " the only thing I have to do is walk you down the isle, how hard is that" so I'm not sure my message got through. I guess we'll see :) I guess the entire point of this blog is I am blessed to have a wedding that I never would have imagined. As happy as I am with all of the material " stuff " sometimes it's not the "stuff" that matters. It's the presence of someone, their spirit, or their support. That counts more than the "mighty" dollar.

I hope I can learn from this experience in several ways. Hopefully I can learn and grown into a stronger person because this has been an emotional experience.

2 comments:

  1. So i'm crying as I read this on my iPhone in a parking lot. I can not even come close to saying that I understand, but in a way I do. I was devastated that my mom couldn't come to the wedding or be there when Lila was born, and I felt like life was terribly unfair and if one more person brought it up I would curl up into a ball and cry forever or scream. My only words of advice are to remember that the day is about you and Matt and try to focus on that. If you really want your dad at your rehearsal- tell him now and be straight forward with him. Explain why it is important. Your mom is watching you from heaven and will be in your heart. Talk about your feelings as much as you can
    now bc you don't want to have a break down then, and know that it is ok to
    be sad about it. If you need to talk, I'm happy to listen. I know our situations are very different but I can imagine how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement: ) that really does mean a lot. Our situations are different but you can relate to your Mom not being there. Thanks for the insight Tina...it does mean a lot: )

    ReplyDelete